Assistant County Attorney
- Prosecution of misdemeanor cases, felony cases, and juvenile cases
- Provide legal advice and counsel to County officials and departments
- Represent and/or identify representation for Benton County in legal proceedings and negotiations
- Draft and review contracts, ordinances, and legal documents
- Oversee the work of legal support staff
- Stay current on legal developments affecting Benton County
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelors Degree
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Iowa
- Strong communication, negotiation, analytical and management skills
- Commitment to upholding ethical and professional standards
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Strong research and litigation skills
- Experience working with municipal government
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Strong problem-solving skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to adapt to a fast paced, changing work environment and respond well under stress to ensure all deadlines are met
- Be able to work independently
Physical Demands/Work Hours:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk.
This position will require flexibility to work additional hours beyond the typical work day when needed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is normally going to be in an office or courtroom setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
THE ABOVE DECLARATIONS ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE AN “ALL-INCLUSIVE” LIST OF THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB DESCRIBED OR OF THE SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE JOB. RATHER, THEY ARE INTENDED ONLY TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB.
- IPERS retirement with 6.29% employee contribution and 9.44% employer contribution
- 9 paid holidays
- Vacation time, sick time, personal day and your BIRTHDAY off
- Opportunity to earn compensatory time
- Health Insurance as low as $180 per pay period for a family pla
- Dental insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flex Spending
- Accident and Critical Illness Insurance
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Wellness program with opportunity to earn up to $350 in incentives
- EAP *THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN EMPLOYMENT AT BENTON COUNTY*
Return Application To
3 ways to apply:
Send completed application with resume and cover letter attached to [email protected] with Assistant County Attorney position in the subject line Drop off or mail your completed application with resume and cover letter to: Benton County Human Resources 811 D Ave., Vinton, Iowa 52349
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Department: Attorney
- Salary Range: $65,000- $93,000 based upon experience
- Posted: 10/3/23
- Expires: Posted until filled.
All Job Listings