Light Drizzle · 73°


Department Alert

Public Legal Advice

This office cannot give legal advice or opinions to private citizens. If you have a legal issue involving Benton County it should be brought to the attention of the appropriate elected official or department head. For general legal assistance, you should seek advice from your own attorney.

Benton County Courthouse

111 E. 4th St. · 3rd Floor
Vinton, IA 52349
Driving Directions

Contact Information

(319) 472-2436 (Court Office)
(319) 472-2422 (Collections Office)
(319) 472-3601 (Court Fax)
(319) 472-5153 (Collections Fax)


Monday thru Friday
8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Holiday Closures

Our Team

Ray Lough
County Attorney


County Attorneys are unique among all the positions within county government as it is the only position provided for by the Constitution of the State of Iowa. All other positions are products of legislation.

The County Attorney does

  • prosecute individuals who violate the law as the chief law enforcement officer of the county.
  • prosecute all state law violations that occur within Benton County.
  • review for prosecution, all criminal state law violations.
  • prosecute all Benton County Ordinance violations committed within Benton County. (City Ordinance Violations are prosecuted by the City Attorney and questions about those cases should be directed to the particular city's City Attorney).
  • review and prosecute juvenile delinquency cases ranging from simple misdemeanors to felonies, as well as initiate Child In Need of Assistance actions, termination of parental rights actions, and mental commitments.
  • provide assistance to the Department of Human Services.
  • provide legal advice to county department heads and elected officials and acts as the legal representative for the county in civil court cases.

The County Attorney does not

  • represent individuals or private groups in lawsuits (including dissolution of marriages or custody proceedings).
  • provide legal advice for individuals or private groups on any issue.
  • prepare wills, deeds, trusts, protection orders, or other legal documents for individuals or private groups.
  • investigate crimes, complaints, or child abuse.


Our Location