Each of the following duties and responsibilities are performed on an on-going basis. The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Monitors conduct of inmates in jail units, or during work or recreational activities, according to established policies, regulations, and procedures, to prevent escape or violence.
- Inspects conditions of locks, window bars, doors at jail facility to ensure security and help prevent escapes.
- Records information, such as inmate identification, charges and incidences of inmate disturbance, and keeps complete and accurate logs of activity.
- Searches inmates and conducts searches of cells for valuables or contraband, such as weapons or drugs.
- Conducts head counts to ensure that each inmate is present.
- Assisting on medical calls with CPR and first aid
- Applies physical force in situations necessary to maintain the orderly operation of the jail
- Must be capable of regular and predictable attendance at a specified location in order to perform assigned tasks
- Performing all other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Individuals must be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprints
- Individual must not have been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude.
Education & Experience:
- Current certified peace officer in the State of Iowa or able to meet Physical Agility testing requirement as set forth by the Law Enforcement Academy
- Drivers license with clean driving record
- High school diploma or GED
Physical Demands/Work Hours:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, and drive
- Near and far vision is required as deputies are responsible for conducting searches and scanning inmate activity at a distance
- In order to physically detain an inmate, an individual must be able to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs and torso and exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
There is a probability for exposure to violence and potential physical harm while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Applicants who are extended a job offer will be examined by a licensed physician or surgeon and must meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.
THE ABOVE DECLARATIONS ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE AN “ALL-INCLUSIVE” LIST OF THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB DESCRIBED OR OF THE SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE JOB. RATHER, THEY ARE INTENDED ONLY TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB.
- IPERS retirement with 8.51% employee contribution and 8.51% employer contribution
- After completion of probationary period, Iowa certified candidates will be granted up to seven (7) years credit for prior service for the calculations of pay and vacation
- Health Insurance as low as $180 per pay period for a family plan
- Dental insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flex Spending
- Accident and Critical Illness Insurance
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Wellness program with opportunity to earn up to $350 in incentives
*THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN EMPLOYMENT AT BENTON COUNTY*
Return Application To
Human Resources 811 D Avenue, Vinton, IA 52349
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Department: Sheriff
- Salary Range: $21.08-$26.19 depending on experience
- Posted: 9/27/23
- Expires: 12/22/23
All Job Listings