Partly Cloudy · 64°


Learn about Benton County's collections department.

Benton County began collecting unpaid court debt in August of 2011.  As of June 30, 2021, we have collected approximately $2,339,334.96 of which $340,144.13 was paid to victims as restitution. 

In January of 2013, the Benton County Board of Supervisors implemented a resolution that allowed the Benton County Sheriff to bill for room and board at a rate of $50 for any part of any day.  Since that time, the Benton County Attorney's Office has been in charge of collecting those fees.  As of June 30, 2021, approximately $280,636.90 in jail fees have been collected.

We have increased our collection department as we began collecting for Tama County in 2014, Bremer County in 2016, and Buchanan County in 2017.  All collections staff and operations for these Counties are handled through the Benton County Office at (319) 472-2422.

How can we help you?

We can combine delinquent court debt that has been assigned to us into one payment plan per county. 

Driver's License Reinstatement Program (CAPP)

DOT Civil Penalties:
Can be included as part of a CAPP agreement.

Down Payment:
A payment of 10% of the balance owed in the cases suspending the license plus the first payment must be paid. 
Out of County Fines: Fines from other counties may be included in a CAPP with the other counties permission. However, the other county/counties can refuse and require the individual to set up a separate payment arrangement with them.

Drinking Drivers and Substance Abuse:
If ordered by the Court, an individual may need to attend and complete Drinking Driver's School and/or Substance Abuse Treatment and Evaluation. After completion of these courses, a certificate of completion must be filed with the Clerk of Court. It is the individual's responsibility to see that the certificate is filed. Driver's License

To locate a Drinking Driver's School and/or Substance Abuse Treatment and Evaluation class in Iowa.

Facility Locator

All CAPP participants must maintain standard liability insurance within 30 days of entering the program. 

License Prevention

Other issues besides suspensions for unpaid fines may prevent you from getting your license and there can be holds on your license that run for specific periods of time.  Nothing will end them early, However, 

  • Even if you are barred or revoked, a CAPP may still be helpful for those who need a Temporary Restricted License (TRL) for work, school, child care, health care or other reasons.   
  • Applicants are advised to check with the DOT regarding their eligibility for a TRL. Entering a CAPP does NOT guarantee issuance of a TRL.

Vehicle Registration Holds & Lifts

If you have any outstanding fines payable to the court, there will be a hold on your ability to register a motor vehicle in Iowa. This includes all criminal and driving-related fines. The hold will remain in place until all fines are paid in full.

  • If you are in a current pay plan with the County Attorney we can grant a temporary lift of the hold to allow you to register your vehicle. 
  • If you are not on a payment plan, we can lift the hold after a down payment of 10% of what you owe, plus your first monthly payment is made.

For assistance with any of these issues please email Deb or Ed or call at (319) 472-2422.