Partly cloudy · 77°

Weapon Permits


If Your current permit was issued between July 1, 2017 and February 28, 2018 you may bring your paper permit to the Sheriff's Office and exchange it for the state issued card permit Monday thru Friday from 0800-1600.



Office hours are Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Always apply at the Sheriff’s Office in the county in which you live. 

Please be advised that we cannot process debit or credit cards. Cash Payment is due at the time of service. Exact change.

Carry Permits and Handgun Purchase Permits can be downloaded from the Iowa Department of Public Safety Website.


Do not sign or date your application until you are at the sheriff's office to apply.  In addition to a completed application, the state requires the following items to apply for a weapons permit.

Carry Permit

Bring proof of acceptable training completed within 24 months prior to the application date (EXCEPT in case of a current or former member of Armed Forces, in which case the person's military small arms training can have occurred at any time prior to the filing of the application, just bring in the certificate of completion),  

Valid driver's license or ID (must be color) with current address, $50.00 cash, exact change.

If you are applying for a Professional Permit please be advised that once you have completed the application, for security reasons, our office will contact your employer directly for verification of employment and completion of that portion of the application. If it has already been completed you will be asked to complete a new application leaving that portion blank.  These permits must be renewed annually.

Renewal of Carry Permits

The application must be 30 days or less from the expiration date of your current permit (Either before or after) to renew at the $25.00 fee, exact change.  

  • The 30 day period does not apply to the validity of your current permit. It only applies to the renewal fee.

If outside the 60-day window for renewal the $50.00 fee Applies. 

If Applicant previously held permit with our office and has had a valid permit since January 1, 2011, no training is required. 

Must bring Proof of residence ex: A valid Driver’s License or ID (must be color) showing your current address.

If your original permit was not issued in Benton County your current permit will be processed as a transfer from the county it was issued out of.

Lost or Damaged Permits

You must come to the office and complete a new application for a Duplicate Permit.

$25.00 fee, exact change.

Purchase Permits

Bring your valid driver's license or ID (must be color) showing your current address and fill out an application.  

$25.00 fee, exact change.

Purchase Permits issued after 7-1-17 will be valid for 5 years with a Fee of $15.00 for duplicates.

Application Fees

  • New Carry Permit - $50
  • Renewal Carry Permit - $25
    if 30 days or less from expiration date a $50.00 applies.
  • Duplicate Carry Permit - $25
  • New Purchase Permit - $25
  • Duplicates of Purchase Permits - $15 (Issued after 7-1-17)

Acceptable Forms of Training

An NRA Certified Handgun Safety Course (Within 24 months prior to application)

Any handgun safety course utilizing an NRA or State Law Enforcement Agency Certified instructor (within 24 months prior to application)

Any handgun safety training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement agency APPROVED by the Department of Public Safety. (Within 24 months prior to application)

If a former member of Armed Forces, completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United States with Honorable Discharge or General Discharge under Honorable conditions (any time prior to application)

If a current member of Armed Forces, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification (any time prior to application)

Completion of a law enforcement agency firearm safety training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer's duties

Completion of a hunter education program approved by the natural resource commission pursuant to section 483A.27, if the program includes handgun safety training and completion of the handgun safety training is included on the certificate of completion (within 24 months prior to application). 

For more information:

Iowa's New Weapon Permit Law