Testing times including Drive Exams cannot be scheduled online.
Please call in and schedule for first time CDL Issuance.
A new online driver's license renewal application became available 7-22-2013 thru the DOT website. However, make sure you are on the Official DOT site; there have been numerous reports of customers attempting this online renewal and not realizing they were on a bogus site that charges fees and does NOT renew the license.
You can find multiple State of Iowa forms for Driver's License and Motor Vehicle at the Iowa DOT.
Beginning September 2023, customers who do not reside in Benton County will be assessed a $10.00 convenience fee for driver's license services unless they pay property taxes in Benton County. This will be verified by looking up the property tax payment if proof is not provided. Collection of the convenience fee is pursuant to Iowa Code 321M.9.
All driver's license services, ID services, and testing are currently by appointment only.
All testing (ex. Permit Testing, CDL Testing, Drive Tests) must be scheduled by calling (319) 472-2450. All other driver's license services can set up an appointment.
- Renewals | 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (enter in the west door, the first office to your right)
- Computer Knowledge Test | Please call to set up a testing appointment
- Written tests must be started before 3:30 p.m.
- CDL written test must be started by 3:00 p.m.
- Skills Driving Test | by appointment only on Tuesdays
- Skills tests can be scheduled after passing the computer knowledge exam
- No motorcycles or CDL skills testing in Benton County. You may contact a state DOT station to find a motorcycle or CDL testing location.
Please call (319) 472-2450 to book an appointment
**Please Note** Beginning September 2023, customers who do not reside in Benton County will be assessed a $10.00 convenience fee for driver's license services unless they pay property taxes in Benton County. This will be verified by looking up the property tax payment if proof is not provided. Collection of the convenience fee is pursuant to Iowa Code 321M.9. .
- Instruction Permit: $6
- Upgrade from Instruction Permit to Minor School License: $8
- Upgrade from Minor School License to Intermediate License: $8
- Upgrade Intermediate License to Operator's License at 17 years old: $10
- Upgrade Intermediate License to Operators License at 18 years old
- Renewal license: $4/yr
- 8-year license: $32
- Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP): $12
- Photo ID: $1 per year; 8-year: $8
- CDL: $8 per year
- Motorcycle Endorsement: adds $2 per year
The Real ID deadline has been extended to May 7, 2025. Once in effect, only persons with a Real ID will be allowed to enter federal buildings that require identification to enter, commercial aircraft, and nuclear power facilities. To see if you have the correct documents for the Real ID please visit the Iowa DOT's Real ID information page.
Commercial Drivers License Renewal
In order to renew a CDL without a Real ID, you must bring a state-certified birth certificate with you.
We can now place a Veteran symbol on the license or Identification Card of any veteran who presents a copy of their DD-214 at the time of issuance.
To learn more about Organ Donation, and becoming an Organ Donor please visit the Iowa Donor Network Website.